vivian maier

23 comments
Vivian Maier was a nanny as well as an avid street photographer from the 1950s-1990s. However, her incredible photography work wasn't discovered until an auction in 2007 when someone uncovered 10,000 negatives and undeveloped rolls of films of hers.



Her human/society observations are AMAZING. I have to say I also love her use of shadows and her self portraits. Very inspiring.

Photos from here. See more on the Official Website of Vivian Maier.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

23 little notes:

Laura @ The World Looks Red said...

Lovely photos!

Anonymous said...

i love how you gave us that background info...

imagine all the hidden artists out there!

Beta said...

Fantastic work!

Unknown said...

I saw this on some street photography documentary video! The guy who official owns all the negatives has such an enormous job of scanning all those photos. Such a shame when people become famous posthumous. I bet she would have enjoyed being recognised for the street photography she was doing then. Particularly because there are very few recognised female street photographers around!

Rhianne said...

I still can't get ovr how amazing this is! The story, her cameras... and that her photos don't look dated at all... I'm so inspired!

allison said...

ooh wow, i love these! thank you for sharing!!

mysterymoor said...

wow this is amazing! thanks for sharing Anna.

Anonymous said...

oh my god, her works are so frickin amazing! thanks for sharing :D

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

These are beautiful!!! I love black and white photos, they're so much more dramatic.
www.SproutThroughConcrete.com

daisychain said...

Wow, fascinating post Anna x

PhotoPuddle said...

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

fantastic photos! i love the first one! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

Emily, Resplendent Tranquility said...

One word: incredible!

Unknown said...

amazing. I'm so glad she's been 'discovered'.

Natasha said...

These are amazing, I love the first photo, that's extremely romantic. xxx

Charlotte. said...

these are lovely!

Bohème said...

wow, the last photo is absolutely wonderful, I like this graphic play between the reflections and the drawing of branches !
Thank you for the link !

Bohème Circus said...

wow, the last photo is absolutely wonderful, I like this graphic play between the reflections and the drawing of branches !
Thank you for the link !

Little queue said...

Wow these really are amazing. I love the last photo with the reflections of the people and the trees. I am glad she these photos were discovered!

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing, I have seen those photos before! Absolutely awe inspiring!!!! I'm going to buy the book!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have also just discovered her works a few months ago and her talent never ceases to amaze each time I see new works from her that I have previously not seen before. She captures the era so well!

lauren, curious constellation said...

What a find and what a story, wow!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE vivian maier - ive been totally obsessed with her for months; even traveled to chicago to see "her" exhibition last month